Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday 24 April 2016

Invitation to contribute your food waste recipes for my next book

I will be writing to fellow Food Waste Champions over the next few weeks inviting contributions for my next book all about food waste.

When I interviewed the head of waste management at my local council while researching my book 101 Ways to Live Cleaner and Greener for Free he said as a parting comment following our lengthy and inspiring chat:

"Start with food waste.  It's food waste that is the most important thing that we need to reduce."

Well in a way, I did. The first chapter of my book is all about food waste.  That was in 2012.  At the time, the latest published figures showed that in the UK alone household were wasting 8,000,000 tonnes of food and drink in a year.  That means one third of a tonne wasted on average by every household in Britain.


Some facts and figures from my first book


Then, of course, there's all the waste before it gets to our homes, which raises the total to 15 million tonnes. Yet still one in eight people in the world go to bed hungry. We have a serious problem here. And we know it.

How did this happen and what are we going to do about it?

This is going to be the subject of my next book and I am going to enlist the help of the many wonderful people who are working to change this and revolutionize our food industry and our food habits.

If you are one of those people, I will be getting in touch soon. If you know someone who could contribute who you think I may not yet know, please tell me and put me in touch. If you could contribute please let me know. You don't need to wait for an invitation, just get in touch. I will be collecting 101 ways to reduce your food waste. There will be yummy recipes and top tips. Let's do it. Get your top tip ready to share.


1 comment:

Dennis Barton said...

This is a wonderful initiative, as I struggle to do anything creative or truly tasty with my leftovers and food scraps. I find that the freezer is my best friend in the fight against food waste. I can pick up almost out-of-date bread from the supermarket and keep it for months. Having some recipes to use that would be great!

Dennis Barton @ Chands Disposal